I started trying to just free hand cut pieces to fit on the pattern, but that was hard, and I saw the great tip somewhere to print two of the pattern and cut one up to use an an actual pattern on my colored papers, so I ended up doing that for part of the face and for the blue and green parts. And then I filled in the still white paper parts with black marker.
I was going to use Mod Podge and cover the whole thing with a layer of it when I was done, but I couldn't find it, so I used mostly a glue stick, but a little white glue here and there.I haven't decided, yet, if I'm going to attempt another paper mosaic or if I'll try rocks or tiles or broken ceramic dishes or something. What I think is really awesome is fabric art of this nature, but I think that would require a lot of hand sewing and I just don't enjoy hand sewing all that much. It was hard enough to have the patience to cut and glue tiny pieces of paper.