My husband went out of town without me, so I was inspired to make some home improvements while he was gone.
I finally hung up the shelf that holds the recorders that has been on top of the piano pretty much as long as the piano has been there. That's the one on the right.
Then, I made another recorder shelf and hung it on the left. They are both made from an Ikea shelf that I cut in half and drilled 1/4" holes through and cut a 1/4" dowel into about 4-6" pieces and pushed them into the drilled holes.
I also cut another shelf in half, well a little more than half, because of the light switch, and hung both parts of it up to hold various other music paraphernalia. Where are my ocarinas? I think they are still packed in the garage. Someday... I've gotta go through more boxes in the garage and get rid of stuff and consolidate other stuff. Mostly I need to purge, give away and lighten our load!
I'm pretty happy that I got the shelves all hung up and not bothered at all by the fact that I couldn't find my level when I was ready to hang them. Spencer said it wouldn't matter as long as they were all crooked the same way or opposite or something.
You can't tell that they are crooked, can you?
However, I knew I would be bothered if my TV hung crooked, so I bought a level for that, only to discover that the wall hanger thingamabobber had a tiny level in it! My stud finder wasn't co-operating very well which was frustrating, but it worked just long enough to find two studs after much pushing of the button with nothing happening. I also didn't have the right size drill bit for pre-drilling the holes in the studs, so I used a slightly smaller one and ended up breaking two of the screw heads off. I didn't think I was that strong, even though the instructions have a warning about that very thing happening. So, I used two other anchored screws on each side of both broken screws, because I didn't want to have to drill four new holes!
I think all that took three trips to two different hardware stores. Well, I also hung the bulletin board to the right of the TV that is covered in fabric that will hold necklaces once I put the tacks in it and unpack the necklaces. And I hung a mirror in the family room and put a wall guard behind a doorknob in the bathroom where the lock was making an impression in the wall and spackled a few holes in the walls.
I have plans for more improvements, but that was all I could accomplish in two days.