Friday, June 22, 2012

Delicious Recipe?

Since my June 4th post, I have been trying to make better food choices. Mainly, I've been having smoothies or fruit for breakfast and trying not to eat grains.

So, I made a delicious soup last night. I had bought kale and was searching for a recipe on-line to try and went to a website where I could enter in ingredients that I have and it would ask me if I had others, so I clicked on them if I had them and it gave me this delicious sounding recipe: Portugese Kale and Potato Soup.

Here is the way I typically follow recipes: (First of all, I pretty much don't measure anything)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided (I used ghee)
1/2 pound chouriƧo or linguiƧa (smoked Portuguese sausages) or kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I used a can of chicken)
1 medium onion, chopped (I used half an onion)
2 garlic cloves, minced (I didn't have fresh garlic, so I used Garlic Spread seasoning)
1 pound russet (baking) potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (I used 5 small red pototaoes)
6 cups water (I used 2 or 3 C water, then added an 18 oz. carton of butternut squash soup)
1 pound kale, stems and center ribs discarded and leaves very thinly sliced (I around 5 ounces of kale and at least that much spinach)

Using ghee, I browned my canned chicken right in the pot I used for the soup, then added my onion and let it get shiny. Then I added the water and potatoes and a can of kidney beans. Then, I added the butternut squash soup and let it simmer for 20 minutes, then added the kale and spinach. I also added sesame seeds, lemon pepper, a few drops of lemon essential oil, and some whispers of ginger powder, curry powder, garam masala, and parsley flakes. Actually, I used a lot of parsley on the chicken, before adding other stuff.

I think that is all I added.
Here's how mine looked:

It was pretty delicious, if I do say so myself. I just don't know if I can fully recommend the recipe that I used as inspiration. It was useful in telling me how long to cook the potatoes and then add the kale later and how long to cook that, so I am happy I found it.

2 comments:

Scorchi said...

That's hilarious how you 'adjust' the recipe. Some choices are logical, and other things come out of the blue. What are the chances you can re-create the recipe?

SillySlang said...

Well, now that I've preserved the idea in a blog, it's possible, but I don't know how probable it is.