Monday, June 4, 2012

Nothing to see here

My sister-in-law's sister, or in other words, the sister of my brother's wife, is a runner. She has run several half marathons and full marathons. She's my age, though I'm older since by birthday is in the first quarter of the year and hers is in the third or fourth quarter of the year.

I've known her since we were 13. We'll call her Kim. Today she posted on Facebook, "If you've ever felt any inkling or desire to run a marathon TODAY is the day you should start your training for my birthday marathon extravaganza. Go out and run 1-3 miles. Don't forget to smile it helps relax your shoulders and improve your running form. Stay tuned for more information later today."

Well, I've never felt an inkling to run a marathon, but I did to a short Triathlon once, since my sister is a personal trainer, she has to stay fit and when she first decided she wanted to start doing races and things, she invited me to train with her. Shortly after we started training we each became pregnant, so I did the Tri for Fun five months pregnant. The swim was only a quarter mile, but it nearly killed me. I'm not that strong of a swimmer and having a big belly weighing be down... I did the backstroke instead. Then, my granny bike, which had no gears, was losing air in the tire, so that was hard. We switched bikes about half way through the 14 miles. Hers is a racing bike, meaning the feet clip to the pedals and the seat is extremely uncomfortable! Really how do people sit on those tiny things? Then for the run, we weren't sure where the beginning of it was, because we were so late starting that portion that there were no longer people directing us where to go, so we went up in the low hills and ran around, or rather walked for a bit, then came back out, not really doing the full three miles, but we did it!

Anyway, that was the beginning and end of my racing career.

However, I'm tired of being overweight and out of shape! Kim's words caught me on a good day, because it is overcast. I like to walk/jog/run in overcast weather. I hate sweating. Plus, when I said, "I don't think I've ever had in inkling to run a marathon, because I don't like running. But I want to like running!" She said, "You should train with me for this marathon. I'll help you LOVE running."

I told her, "Almost thou persuadest me to be a runner."

But, I decided I needed to start TODAY! Even though it was raining this morning. I asked my little kids if they wanted to go for a walk in the rain with me, my three year old (always the most eager to help me) said, "Oh, I need to get my shoes and my umbrella!" But we didn't leave right then.

I waited until my baby was ready for a nap, and then I held her napping for a while. And then I was in danger of not going, because her nap was going to end too soon, so I forced myself to put her down, nursed her for a bit to comfort her and get her settled, then changed the three year old, got his shoes and my shoes and umbrellas for three of them.

By then it wasn't raining anymore and my big kids could babysit, since I knew they wouldn't be willing to go with me.

Off we went. I had mapped out a three mile loop around the neighborhood, but they played at the park, that is almost a mile away, while I did some sprints, then when we tried to continue, the 6 year old tripped and skinned his already skinned knee, so then he wanted to go home. He didn't cry, just whined about wanting to go home every couple minutes. So, I took pity on him and decided we would head home, which made my three year old break down and cry. He wanted to stay at the greenbelt.

Oh, I was ready to leave them all home next time!

But, I gave Trevor a piggy back ride for part of the way, and that cheered him up, except for my hair getting in his face, so then he walked again and when he found a stick, then he was happy.

We made it back home about an hour and ten minutes after we had left. I only sat down once to get a tiny pebble out of my shoe and to try swinging. My tummy and head just can't handle swinging on a short swing anymore! Takes my tummy away and makes my head feel the same. Me no likey.

If well begun is half done, then we are half done with training for a marathon. Ha! I still have no desire to run that far, but we'll see.

I heard a talk on TED that said that you shouldn't tell people your goals when you are first starting out, because then people say, "Well good for you!" and things of that nature which makes us feel as good as if we already completed our goal, so then we no longer feel the need to actually do it because we already have the good feeling! I thought that was interesting. So, I shouldn't really be posting this now.

hmm...
So, nobody tell me I'm doing a good job.

It goes against the latest pop culture theory that you should tell everyone your goal, so that they can all help hold you accountable to it. But, really people are too nice, or we don't like their nagging.

So, quietly keep your goals to yourself and accomplish them!
Good thing nobody reads this, except my Mom.
Hi MOM! I love you.

4 comments:

Scorchi said...

Hahahahaha. You caught me. I won't say good job and that I'm proud of you. Hopefully Kim can also help you love sweating, cause summer is just starting.

SillySlang said...

Yeah, I'll just have to get back in the habit of exercising before high noon.

Demi said...

OK then I wont say good job, I will say, "keep up the good work!" Once is great, but not enough. You can do it!

SillySlang said...

Thanks, Demi! I did exercise 3 times that week, about 2 miles each time, but then I didn't exercise the following week, which was last week. I did some aerobics this morning, thanks to your reminder.