Thursday, January 17, 2013

New Favorite Quotes

I was reading De Profundis, by Oscar Wilde and I found some quotes I really like. I just can't remember which device I was reading it on as I recently got a couple of new magic rocks, but maybe the magic rocks are smart enough to keep my place across all my devices like the apps say they can. In fact, I had forgotten that I was reading this until I found a piece of paper on which I had written these quotes. It was the first free e-book I downloaded, after getting a magic rock that can do such things! I love free books!

Anyway, the quotes:

"If I got nothing from the house of the rich I would get something at the house of the poor. Those who have much are often greedy; those who have little always share."

~

"...as long as I am free from all resentment, hardness and scorn, I would be able to face the life with much more calm and confidence than I would were my body in purple and fine linen, and the soul within me sick with hate."

~

"...when you really want love you will find it waiting for you."

~

And then I had to look up the word Antinomian which means: a person who maintains that Christians are freed from the moral law by virtue of grace as set forth in the gospel.

Hmm... that sounds like license to do whatever the heck you want because you're already saved. I had never heard that before, obviously, but I don't think that's what Christ intended to happen because of his grace and probably also why we're taught that grace without works is dead. Professing to believe in Christ and then acting un-Christlike is the ultimate hypocrisy. Something against which all who believe in God must guard, because none of us have achieved the perfection that Christ has, but we can all try every day to be a little better than we were the day before and His grace is sufficient for us all, if we repent. See, repenting is the work we must do to go along with the grace that He has given us with His atonement.

That being said, I found the next quote humorous, though I didn't copy it word for word, (except for the part in quotation marks) because I didn't find it uplifting, but it was something to the effect of:

I want to found an order for those who cannot believe, the Confraternity Of The Faithless, and "praise God daily for having hidden Himself from man."

I think this last quote from De Profundis is very profound. {chuckle}

"I have got to make everything that has happened to me good for me."

To quote Captain Picard, "Make it so."

No comments: