Thursday, May 30, 2013

Caramel cookie bars

I was looking for a way to use some of the salted caramel that I made too salty. Today, my son's Pre-Algebra class was having a party for the last day of class, so I made caramel cookies for him to take.

I used this recipe to begin with: caramel-bar-cookies, and then I added the salted caramel on top along with some drizzling of sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips, walnuts and coconut. Kinda like Magic Cookie Bars, but with a more cookie like base than the graham crackers with melted butter.



Also, it is made as a bar on a cookie sheet. I didn't get it spread all the way to the edges, but it expanded to fill the whole cookie sheet as it baked. I probably could have baked it a little longer as they are very soft, but the ones around the edges were getting crunchy. Picky eater #1 volunteered to eat all of them and he doesn't even like caramel! He really likes Magic Cookie Bars, though.



I made some no-bake oatmeal cookies last week and he wouldn't even taste them. I told him he wasn't doing his cookie eating duty. He said, "Mo-o-om, this is a weird conversation."



My son's teacher said they were delicious and thought about asking for the recipe, but then she figured that she would make them and eat them. So, I think they were a hit.

No comments: