Saturday, May 28, 2011

Education Quote

I was watching the documentary Darfur Now, and there was a really good quote from Hejewa Adam. Her village was burned down and (if I remember correctly) she was beaten severely while her baby was on her back and her baby died from the beating. Others in the village had their throats slit and boys under 5 were killed and the girls were taken away. Since she lost everything, she joined the rebels, fighting against the government that condones such violence against the people of their country, which is basically a genocide. She said, "The massacre in Shatia humiliated me and convinced me to join the rebel Army. I decided that I must help liberate our homes."

A little later in the movie she said, "Fighting alone will not solve the problem in Darfur. Those people who go to school and get an education are the ones who will solve the problem. But fighting with guns, that will not solve it. Even in a hundred years." (emphasis added)

I also like this quote from Don Cheadle in the movie, when asked by a random person "What can I do to help?" He says, "What can I do? I don't know, but more than nothing, a lot more than nothing."
Here is a link that explains a little more about the movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0988102/

No comments: